So, tonight, I did MUCH better with keeping my Weight Watchers SmartPoints to a “normal” level for dinner! I decided to try “Birds Eye Barley & Kale”, which is one of their new items in their Super Food Blends line! It is located in the frozen food section, and it is in a steamer bag. Can we get an “amen” for convenience?! This is how easy it was to make dinner:
(This website contains affiliate links, which means that I may, at no additional cost to you, earn a small commission if you make a purchase. All affiliate links are used to keep theoilyanalyst.com up and running! Read my full disclosure policy here.)
- Remove Birds Eye Barley & Kale Super Food Blends steamer bag from freezer.
- Gingerly turn the bag around to read the nutritional label. LOL, just kidding! You don’t have to do this, but after my “scare” after eating that Coke & Pizza, the other day, a girl can’t be too careful! I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see that the Birds Eye Barley & Kale Super Food Blend was only 7 SmartPoints! WHAT?! *Queue heavenly music* Better yet? It is 7 SmartPoints for the ENTIRE BAG! That’s right, my friends! SEVEN SMARTPOINTS! (Unlike that sneaky pizza the other day, which was 2 servings and oh-so-tiny) Halleluljah! Man, I’m feeling all kinds of spiritual about this new product, and I’m not even being paid to advertise for them. I just really like sharing what I like! I can’t help myself! 😉 *end squirrel brain episode*
- Next, place the UNOPENED steamer bag into the (dreaded) microwave. Yes, I’ve heard that microwaves are bad, but… a girl has to eat sometimes…. and I’m a lazy girl at that! I mean… I’ve cooked eggs on the stove, and I’m talkin’ FRIED eggs…. that’s right…. I make ’em fried! 😀
- I always pick the middle recommended setting for cooking time, so I cooked the steamer bag in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- There’s probably an instruction that says to let it sit for a few minutes, after it’s done cooking, but I was HUNGRY, so I dumped that bad boy onto my plate right after the *beep* of the microwave!
- Look at what’s on your plate… oooo… broccoli, I love broccoli! Kale, not bad at all… Barley, I’m up for trying it… I love most grains… Red kidney beans… good! Carrots… oh carrots… we have a love-hate relationship, but what you don’t know is that I plan on masking you with all of the broccoli, kale, barley and red beans that are in this meal! Plus, I gave a few of the carrots to the puppy because they’re healthy, and plus she stares at me the entire time that I’m eating. She doesn’t even blink! I mean… who can say “no” to this face??
- Snap picture of the end result…. this is not a requirement, but if you want to bask in all of its glory later, take a picture! I’m not the greatest photographer, but you’ll get an idea of what this meal will look like if you choose to try it out! I’m all for #keepingitreal, so this is a “real life” picture, y’all! 🙂 FYI – This is a 10.5-inch plate! Yes, I just ran and grabbed a measuring tape to measure my plate, lol.
- Devour! Warning: This meal is already seasoned with a “lightly roasted garlic sauce”. I know what you’re thinking. “Oh, no, Shannon…. I’m going to be tasting garlic for days on end after eating this”. I will tell you that I did slightly have the flavor of garlic on my mouth afterwards, but it only lasted for an hour or two, yay! It also wasn’t strong, by any means, so “lightly” held true to its name. I thought about adding salt, but this IS a frozen food, and those kinds of foods are, typically, loaded with sodium. *checks nutritional label* It has 580mg of Sodium, which is 24% of your recommended daily allowance, so I guess it’s not too bad, since, well, you’re supposed to eat three “square” meals a day, and each meal, on average, should contain 33% of your recommended daily allowance, so this meal actually falls below the “norm”, because it only accounts for 25% of your recommended daily intake. This is a good thing! Uh o.. the analyst just came out in me! 😉
To wrap things up, here is a picture of the bag, and Nutrition Facts, so that you can just run past the frozen food section, on your way home from work one day, and swipe up a bag!
I hope you’ve been thoroughly entertained, tonight, with my Weight Watchers Escapades! I’ve written over 700 words, which is totally out-of-character for me, but I had so much fun writing this for all of you! Be sure to come back and visit me because I’m really getting into this blogging thing, and I’ll definitely be posting more about my Weight Watchers Endeavors, along with anything else that pops into this “squirrel brain” of mine! 😉
P.S. The main reason, why I decided to try this item, is because I had a cashback offer, on ibotta, for .75 off of one of these items at Walmart! The cashback offer says it’s available until August 9, 2017, and it’s good on 2 items on one receipt, plus it’s repeatable, meaning that you can use it over and over again until the expiration date! All you do is load the rebate to your ibotta account, go shopping, and then scan your receipt into the system. You’ll have your cashback in 24 hours or less, and you can redeem your cash, in $10 increments, straight to your PayPal account! It’s so wonderful and EASY! By clicking the banner, below, and creating a new account, you will earn an instant $10 IN CASH by redeeming ONE rebate, such as the Birds Eye rebate! You just have to make sure you redeem a rebate within about a week after joining ibotta, so that you’ll get the $10 cashback bonus! Now there’s no excuse to get ibotta! 🙂
Well, that’s all for now! ‘Til next time!