The Oily Analyst Receives Blogger Recognition Award Nomination!
Imagine my surprise when, three weeks ago, a fellow blogger, Christina over at fromunderapalmtree.com, messages me to let me know that she nominated me for the Blogger Recognition Award! Me?! The dork who started a blog in the middle of June?! Here I thought, “No one reads what I’m writing. Who actually find this stuff interesting? I’m so random with my blog post topics!” So, it was very exciting to know that people are visiting my blog and reading its content! Lol. 🙂 I am also very honored to be nominated, in such a short time of starting my blog!
First off, I would like to take a moment to thank Christina, as well as her Mother and sister, over at fromunderapalmtree.com, for the Blogger Recognition Award nomination! It was very exciting to receive that message from y’all, and it really gave me the push that I needed to keep going with my blog, even though I’ve only been blogging for a few months! I’m the type of person that likes to experience instant gratification, when I take on a new endeavor, so it was very exciting to be nominated so soon! Thank y’all so much! 🙂
Here is a little bit about fromunderapalmtree.com! This blog is run by a Mother and her two daughters. From Under a Palm Tree is a lifestyle blog focusing on sustainable and creative living for every woman. Their goal is to help women lead full lives while making the most of all their resources. They blog about wellness, beauty, nutritious recipes, DIY, family life and green living. (Description copied directly from their blog.) To read more about From Under a Palm Tree’s writers, visit HERE.
As part of the acceptance of the Blogger Recognition Award, there are three requirements:
- How did you get started blogging?
- Mention two pieces of advice for new bloggers.
- Nominate 15 fellow bloggers for the Blogger Recognition Award.
So, here goes nothing! lol 🙂
How I Got Started
It all started when I became a Young Living Independent Distributor at the very end of December 2014. It wasn’t until January 2015, only one month later, that I started to really dig into the benefits and uses of essential oils. I, then, thought to myself “Why not share the benefits and uses of essential oils with my family and friends? Why stop there?! Why not share them with the WORLD?!” The term “oily” is used frequently in the world of essential oils, even though essential oils, by themselves, do not have an oily consistency. Essential oils are the lifeblood of plants, trees and shrubs! Learn more about essential oils HERE. The term, “oily”, is used frequently among the Young Living Independent Distributors, so I just knew that it had to be in my name! I feel like a mad Scientist/Chemist, when I make my DIY (do-it-yourself) concoctions, with my essentials oils. I had, originally, thought of “The Oily Chemist”, but I truly was NOT a “real” Chemist. At the time, that I created my Facebook page, I was a Financial Analyst. Technically, I was a Planning & Analysis Manager, but “The Oily Planning & Analysis Manager” just does not have the same ring to it. Don’t you agree? 🙂 So, after two weeks of pondering over a name, “The Oily Analyst” was born!
I only had a Facebook page for about two years! I also had a self-created logo. It was pretty pitiful, if you ask me! It wasn’t until the end of 2016 that I thought about creating a blog. I did start a blog, at that point, but I only posted four blog posts, in 2016, and I never shared my blog posts with anyone! Earlier, this year, I sought the graphic design talents of a fellow coworker, and he created my current logo! I love it! I’ll have to tell you more about my logo in a later blog post! In June 2017, I joined a blogger’s Facebook group, and that’s where I started learning more about blogging. I jumped and purchased a self-hosted WordPress website! I was surprised at how low-cost it was! If you’d like to learn more about the first steps of starting a blog, click HERE.
My intentions were to blog solely about Young Living, but I quickly realized that it would get boring to talk just about Young Living. I mean, let’s face it, I’m not a salesperson, and I just love sharing and talking with people about the things that interest me! One day, it could be sharing my new favorite essential oil, but most days I’m more interested in sharing about random subjects, like how coke and pizza is bad for weight loss, or how I’m obsessed with Pinterest right now! I can’t be tied down to one subject, y’all! So, I described my blog as a lifestyle blog. That way, I’m not really tied down to ONE SUBJECT and, by golly, I can talk about traveling to Disney World if I so choose (I can’t wait to go back there one day!). So, that’s basically how I got started, in a nutshell! To learn more about me, feel free to check out my About Me page, HERE.
Two Pieces of Advice for New Bloggers
- Write about whatever you want to write about! Don’t feel obligated to stick to one subject. It’s YOUR blog! Have FUN with it! The readers will come in time! To be honest, I don’t have that many readers, but it takes time to acquire a following! Stay true to yourself, and have a blast! If it starts feeling like a job, take a step back, and re-evaluate the goals of your blog.
- Consistency is key. I really should practice what I preach! I’m sure you can tell, from my blog posts, and other random posts on the different social media platforms, that I am not consistent. I’m working on that, though! I’ll get there soon! In fact, I’m in the process of looking into different social media schedulers because I have a demanding full-time job that takes precedence over my blog. 🙂 It’s good to be consistent because your readers will know to expect a new blog post from you, for example, on Mondays and Thursdays. They’ll know to expect new Instagram posts, from you, at 11:00am, 2:00pm, and 6:00pm every day. Consistency, consistency, consistency!
Blogger Recognition Award Nominations
Here’s the best part! The chance to nominate some awesome fellow bloggers! Some of them, I have chatted with, occasionally, over the internet. Most of them, I don’t think I’ve ever talked to at all! So… *drumroll*… in alphabetical order, the nominations are:
- Back to the South – DIY Home Decor & Lifestyle
- Carefree & Coffee – Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle
- Combat Medic – A Soldier’s Story
- Dylan’s Daydream – Lifestyle
- Erica Mesirov – Health & Wellness
- Fire + Wife – Lifestyle
- Helerina Blogs – Lifestyle
- High on Chai – Food, Lifestyle & Travel
- Passport for Happiness – Travel & Lifestyle
- Raising Your Pets Naturally – Pet Care, Training & Advice
- Sweet Coralice – Food
- Sweetie n’ Salty Shoppe – Food
- The Crazy List – Lifestyle
- The Liminal Network
- The Toe of the Boot – Lifestyle
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL NOMINEES! 🙂
Once you have been nominated, please be sure to pass on the award to other fellow bloggers! Here is a list of the items, to be completed, when accepting your nomination:
- Write a blog post to show your award.
- Thank the blogger that nominated you, and include their link, in your blog post.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 15 other bloggers that you want to give this award to.
- Comment on each blog to let them know that you have nominated them, and give the link to the post you created.
Once again, congratulations to all nominees, and I cannot wait to see your upcoming blog posts about the acceptance of your award! 🙂